28 Feb 2007

Budget Success!


Conservatives WIN £250,000 for City Parks

On Tuesday 27th of February my Conservative colleagues on Bristol City Council won an extra £250,000 for our City Parks in the budget debate.


This is to be targeted at parks development and children’s/young peoples play areas.

I instructed our spokesman Cllr. Ashley Fox (Conservative) that among many things we need in St Georges Park, he should ask for the following improvements.

A manned first aid post
Safety surfacing on little kids areas and an extended play area
Many more benches for their parents
Toilets that are open
A full time warden

Cllr. Fox reported to me that our local Labour councillor spoke against our proposals for more spending on parks and play areas!

I find this extraordinary. When we met this January along with residents on a guided tour of our park to look at the tree-felling program, I thought that they were just as keen to see improvements in the park as the rest of us are. We shook hands on this issue.

If elected on May the 3rd I fully intend to work with anyone regardless of political party who is serious about improving our facilities and quality of life in St George West.