5 Dec 2011

Speaker's wife Sally does it again: Cameron an 'arrogant toff'


The British Prime Minister David Cameron is an "arrogant toff ... who is out of touch", says the wife of the Speaker of the House of Commons.
John Bercow's wife Sally, 42, who is known for speaking her mind, told The Sunday Times yesterday: "I've always thought Cameron's a t---."
She then clarified: "No, I don't mean that. You put those words in my mouth. I've always thought David Cameron was not a particularly nice guy. He's a toff who is out of touch. An arrogant toff."
The Speaker is supposed to be non-partisan, meaning he or she takes no sides in any political debate.
But Mr Bercow's wife has not shied away from talking about other politicians, once calling the leader of Britain's Independence Party Nigel Farage a "great man" and Louise Mensch - a Conservative Party MP - "gorgeous", the Metro newspaper reported.
In February, Mrs Bercow appeared in London's Evening Standard newspaper wrapped only in a white sheet and standing before a window overlooking Parliament.
She said then she was a "complete idiot", but was less circumspect in the Times interview.
"Big deal. It was a nice photograph. I just turned up; they said, 'Will you wear a sheet?' and I thought, 'Why not?"' she said.
"I showed less flesh than I would in an evening dress. It was a laugh for Valentine's Day. John thought it was a nice photograph but once all the media furore started he was, 'Oh, why did you do that?'"
In another interview, Mrs Bercow had named a vibrator as her favourite toy, but said her husband did not mind.
"John thought it was funny. He really did. He said, 'You know that's going to go everywhere.' I said, 'I know, I'm sorry.' He said, 'It doesn't matter.'"
Mr Bercow is from the governing Conservative Party but his wife has stood for the opposition Labour Party.
Once he was elected Speaker, Mr Bercow set out a new style, ditching the traditional breeches and wig.
Instead of saying "Order! Order!" during rowdy exchanges, he would give politicians a lecture about how the public views such behaviour. Source