10 May 2014

World First: DAC7 - Flavour Of The New Lampizator Flagship + Full Review Update

By Angelo Agathangelou: A short introduction for the uninitiated. For those who missed it, there has been a revolution in audiophile technology. DACs have revealed that humble CD’s were always vinyl’s equal, sadly the dated concept of essentially using a light beam in place of a needle and other shortcomings of the technology used until now conspired.  These issues have been traversed by replacing the record playing mechanics of cd players with solid state ram buffers and the same information available on your CD is now most conveniently on a solid state hard drive. The results are the best music I have ever heard and I have cared to hear for almost half a century.

Schools out and the only benefit of vinyl is nostalgia. …That’s OK, there's a place for nostalgia, it’s just this reviewers opinion that music lovers are finally able to enjoy their current revolutionary music in a way that has been unavailable to the masses for more than a generation. I definitely think we took a step back there for a while and the lame stream continues to half step. That’s where artisans like Lukasz Fikus have come to the rescue.

The famous Lampizator DAC4 generation3 was a revelation of the above and I couldn’t bare to part  from my own generation 4. It goes like this, put a Lampizator DAC4 and Transport in between your computer and Hi Fi gear and magic happens, you’ve got every ounce of vinyl clarity but without the pops and scratches. This brings me to the all new DAC7.


Lampizator DAC7
"Most radically minimalistic DAC we ever designed." Says Lukasz, "If you try and build a triode, blah, blah." Says Greg, Lukasz UK Distributor/buff and you know I just glaze over. Sadly that's not my income source. Music is my escape from and often these days my fight with the new world disorder. You know there's no time for good music like a revolution, so I'll just say check out the Lampizator site direct for the technicals and make an attempt here to address the 'flavour' of the new Lampizator flagship and a few other updates and comments as they occur to me, so this page will continue to morph over the next few days.

Check out the previous reviews of the Big 6, Transport, SILK etc., links at the bottom. This is a continuation of the Lampizator series of reviews.


Greg is a spirited debater of music technologies. He was paying a visit to a customer in our vicinity today on his way to their Birmingham distributor and was kind enough to let me in on the roadshow with a short but revealing stint of the DAC7 in my stack affectionately known as WD's "The Bunker" Lampizator GM70 SE Amps and Transport with Spendor S100 speakers "Spendor Henge" system, replacing my resident Big DAC6.5.

First, I say 'flavour' because that's largely my first impression over a short less than an hour listening session. I heard a heavenly level 4 voicing (vinyl) to the enth degree with one query that I must answer more fully in the projected more thorough Lampizator Big Super DAC7.5 review. My only query with the 7 is regarding reverb. I'll take the opportunity to finally include the DSD capability Lukasz offers and see what all the fuss is about and there is one final tweak planned.


Side/future issues: In our current 4m x 4m listening room Spendor henge are over sized but working beautifully. I have found them amazingly versatile and have yet to find a better pair of all rounder speakers. Nevertheless future plans include a substantially larger listening room and we are searching for the absolute ultimate speaker solution. I've been chatting air brick inner wall construction with Lukasz and looking at frequencies, waves and dimension for that as well as the new Lampizator offering, the ‘Destination’ speakers. Expectations are high for the collaborative offering from Lukasz and Wlodek retailing at a current price of $32,150 - €23,370 - £19,060 GULP! Anticipating the ultimate zero compromise last speakers a music lover would ever want to own for that sort of investment and Lukasz' own statement is that "they are simply the best speakers money can buy." Well that seals it then, a must buy obviously. lol. ...And Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables are all I'll need? We're getting system specific here and I expect this is the important point as Lukasz clarifies, "Whats most important, these speakers and my amps and DACs are a match made in heaven." Can't wait to hear these horns.


Greg is hot for certain horns that I "must hear" too. There will be no stone left unturned. This brings me to the tweak I mentioned. Several people have reported very positive effects of tri-wiring Spendor S100's. As Lukasz has a positive view of my current Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables in conjunction with his Destination speakers that's good news. We'll splice in a second pair of bi-wire configured Nordost Red Dawn to handle the mids and tweeters with some tasty spades. Rhodium? Tweak. 

Update 15/4/2015: Perhaps it's the Nordost tech, ...with Nordost jumpers or Red Dawn bi-wire the sound became confused. The final test will be a higher level Nordost. Red Dawn seem pretty amazing and they worked well with Roberts 15" horns too, a good speaker cable at pre-bonkers money.

Back to the DAC7. During the Super Big 6.5 review I mentioned that I couldn't "escape the redefining charms of my DAC4 gen4" and this is what I meant. The seven has a different voicing, similar to the DAC4's clarity and definition v my 6.5's for want of a better description 80's sound. 6.5 seems to go lower and not lose clarity as such but attain this character as described, not unlike the effect of a loudness button. DAC7 plays wonderfully with jazz, loved Coltrane's Olé and Miles Davis. It may trump here. Studio 1 style Brentford All-Stars 'Greedy G' showed this reverbe issue when trying to reach down real low. Greg says this is not so apparent in a horn speaker setup.

Having said this I have already asked Lukasz to pencil me in for a review with a view to buy for August, hence the forthcoming review. I was immediately captivated by the voice of the 7 and the palpable added depth to the already beguiling 4. I also suspect that the lack of time for tweaks etc. conspired. Nevertheless this failed to leave a bad impression. Straight out of the box I was impressed. The feeling I am left with is one of hope. Hopeful that the absolute ultimate nature of the Big 7 will take away any slight blemishes. Lucasz assured me that if I liked the DAC7 the Super7 is all that on steroids and will blow me away. "Putting it all in one big box with the extra power supplies etc. and without having to make the external link." When probing further, ..as I described "more of that level 4 voicing" Lukasz disagreed insisting "The Big 7 is really more of the level 7 sound." Clearly my short listening session was not enough to plumb the depths of this new instrument. I want to be clear that IMO it's totally down to personal taste at this level. DAC6 aka 'The Fikus DAC' speaks for itself as being Lukasz Fikus the maker's, preferred sound and as it turned out it may as well have been called the "Angel DAC" as it's my preferred sound too. Those who want the modern glassy sound might go for the 7, auditioning with your own system is the only way to be sure.

Update 12 of June -
Hay la DAC7's back:
You have got to hear the DAC7. It's a completely different animal to the Big6. In comparison, glass like transparency and highs and a much more articulated base. This is where Lampizator DAC fans come to make their final choice for a specifically tailored sound and it's a very wide palate. I would suggest that the 6 errs towards tube like nostalgia and the 7 is a more modern clear sound, but condensed. I am really enjoying the 7 without the reservations I had for the Big6 and although for the right system and audiophile the 6 will be the one.
 


Did I mention the sound is exceptionally good for late night close low volume listening. Greg says this is to do with the massive gain. The Bunker (my system) has been described as the worlds ultimate headphones, bearing that in mind, listening at higher volumes today it was like this; with drums, I was sitting with the drummer or being bashed in the head, with higher notes, the razor sharpness could cut your head clean off! Miraculously, the house is still standing. Santana was rocking the place as I skipped tracks I wanted to settle on the less confused and crowd fussed tracks....tbc... 

Between Hard Rock and limited cash.
The irritating thing is that the sweet, glassy clear, super articulate base DAC7 does not trump My indescribable Big 6.5. The truly ideal Lampizator DAC (at this point in time) would offer the ability to switch between these two. However enhanced, I can not see how even the Super7 will truly trump the Big when it comes to it's particular virtues of great immediacy and yet laid back and easy to listen to indefinitely without fatigue. Unfortunately, due to the direct nature of the design of the 7 it is not practical to make a DAC6/7, but can one justify paying double to have it all? Most of us will have to make a hard decision between the two. 

My eyes are spinning like a one armed bandit for the recent progression regarding levels of Lampizator DACs and I wonder where it will go... Do we wait for DAC10 that might somehow be a mature final solution and melding of the previous characteristics of the flock with switching between multiple processors and implementations??? The point is these are both extremely talented and sweet audiophile products and it's hard to make a decision to lose A for the sake of gaining B, ideally going up we want it all and more, but here it is not the case, we have more of different. I think this can be argued for the DAC5 (an ultimate DAC4) Big6 and no doubt Super7 too.

This is the product of a no compromise approach. Choose the style of your nirvana, there is not only one, it's infinitely variable. Is it time that Lukasz moved away from zen style single talented products to something more multifunctional. LampizatOr-X-DAC?

Photo Right: Concept 2020 LampizatOr-X-DAC. 
My ultimate LampizatOr-SuperX-DAC would perhaps look like a double-deck-er 6 with the lamps visible through a window in the front face rather than exposed, I would keep my excellent pre-amp volume and there would be three nice rotary switches/dials, volume, effect, source. Three point effect (5)natural, (7)transparent, (6)warm (get the DAC level reference). One for manually switching source from the front would be nice too.  Anyone got a spare €10-15k?

As I can't get away this month for the first international conference in Motown (Detroit) USA 'issues facing men and boys' and as I have already given of my time and money to help make sure the event happens in the face of 'feminist death and bomb threats' would you believe and obviously after having the DAC7 back for a much closer inspectionå. After a hard days activism for the MHRM, one can suffer a little self gratification and play, no? ;)



_______



Additional:
life with GM70SE amps, valve technology meets Apple Mac, dual amp convenience and listening room tweaks:
I have a good year or two's experience with lamp-ized technology now and the high current nature of valve amplifiers etc. and so far my experience has been a steep learning curve for the quirks of the technology coupled to the reward of audiophile nirvana. 

The system is usually at top performance within 5 or 15 minutes depending on ambient temperature. During constant use, often 24 hours as it's often forgotten on, I have had one poor valve that occurred recently. If you are serious you will have spare valves. Swapped in a pair of nice E88CC Philips SQ's and things actually improved.

Another thing worth mentioning is the occasional microphonics from the valves on the amps and a simple test for bad valves and often just a remedy for microphonic issues is to swap valves between the mono amps. You have to imagine all those parts and each individual lamp heating expanding and contracting. It's very much alive and occasionally needs a scratch here and tweak there, for example the dials, every week or so I check and every so often a minor adjustment is required. 

I have never ever heard a better amplifier, ...ever!!! The downsides are, they run as hot as hell and they hum like a motherfucker. Will someone please develop a pint-sized version with all the sound, half the heat and consumption and the correct transformers for this extraordinary GM70.

For my personal needs as I have no time to play with valves whilst I work, I have decided to combine a solid state amp, my PM17KI for general use. Unfortunately after exposure to the GM70SE, the sound is too veiled and it requires a long absence for the Marantz to sound fulfilling. With electric bill savings bearing in mind it costs around £1000 per year to run the GM70SE's full time as I tend to do, this has allowed me to project for an item designed to last as long term in my system as my old faithful Marantz and upgrade. I am looking for an ultimate upgrade integrated, something bulletproof as a hassle free do it all core to my system and planning to audition the Luxman and other offerings soon.

(Additional Oct 2014: The Luxman was another experience like I've had with B&O, that looked beautiful, but sounded all wrong. Astonishing for a reputable company and a €10,000 retail price. I am sorry I brought it up. My aunt bought me a £5 radio when I was 5 that sounded better! The UK distributer swears it's working perfectly. Lol - I picked up a slight upgrade to my PM17KI, a very acceptable PM14KI Mk2)

Noisy Apples: When our system is running on top form and given some volume it sings there is one further issue one may have to combat for recent vinyl to digital converts and that is computer hard drive and fan noise. 

I use an iMac. To get her running quietly I have taken two steps. a) I have upgraded her hard drive to 1TB SSD and b) as I discovered was very necessary after the install, I found some fan control software. She was sure confused by the SSD and decided to run her fans virtually at full hair dryer mode most of the time! This was confusing as I had expected the reverse, the new drive having no moving parts and runs cooler. This seems to have cured all ills and now... expressed in Lampizator terms, lets say my stock mac was an old level 2, became a useless dog after immediately after the install and is now a solid level 5. 

Listening room: Moving the computer to a separate room and using the iPeng app to control the Lampizator Transport would take you to level 6 and finally computer fan noise would have left the scene. Level 7 would require an enclosure for the GM70SE mono blocks and ideally the whole system. At close listening distances, the amps omit a low level hum and inevitably the heat acting on metal and glass expanding as previously described omits it's own chorus of microphonics. Level 7 is perhaps all the above behind a well ventilated thick glass fronted rack so that you finally have ultimate control through a pretty cool remote controller that for mac users is our iPod, iPhone, iPad that run totally silently and only the beautiful sound emanating from your speakers. It's in the cards for our ultimate listening room. Tweak! ;)


______






Update 25th July: Lukasz has begun construction of our LampizatOr Super (aka Big) 7 DAC/pre amplifier + DSD with additional XLR ++ 'Supreme Reference' on course for August review. Emmission Labs on standby! To 45 meshie or not to 45 meshie? That is the question. Whether it be nobler to stay true with a flat plate or preferable to take excursions into magic mushroom land with meshie? :) 

______


Update 15th November:
As a prelude to a full review here's an update prompted by a friend's recent query. 

I have not been able to get good synergy with the B7 in my own system. In the end B7 PCM playback becomes tiring in the bunker. It was always going to be a tough challenge against our very special 'Fikus' DAC. We did find some extraordinary results with DSD playback in Robert's setup. I am in the process of verifying this with a final pure-DSD-B7. With any luck I'll have something up soon.
 
Have opted for Duelund this time. 101d and 274b tubes. The 101d were a surprise visually. They are very cute and different. I would add that Duelund take ages to break in and the first two weeks were very painful.
 
Lampizator is going through some changes at the moment with the use of PCBs. I would be glad to share any experiences with the community.

Otherwise upgraded our DAC4 to a B4 with volume and Dualund and she's just started 2 weeks breaking in. I will look in on her a couple of times, but I really can’t abide the strain of those particular caps when new.


At over 10,000 hours my B6 is a wonderful all-purpose machine that get's extra special when played with the Transport and I couldn't be happier. The B7-DSD is an extravagance given the lack of available DSD in the UK, but I may verify in my next review that it's effectively level 10, very open. Depends on how she performs this week in the Bunker.



(Left - ultimate combo PCM6/DSD7)
I think DACs 3,4,5 are special neutral (I won't part with my 4) and the B6 gives and inaudible amount of detail for a wonderful musicality and a touch warm in a very good way. The seven startles with clarity but I find the PCM playback condensed and tiring after a while in my setup. Spendor Henge take no prisoners! ;-)



_____ 


Photos above by Lukasz, DAC7, Big SEVEN and Lampizator Destination Speakers tri-wire crossover + DAC7 in The Bunker by GPoint Audio Greg. - Photos below by WD.

"The Bunker"


"S100 Henge"


December 2nd 2015: 
"Make Mozart, Not Nukes!" Pilgrimage To LampizatOr Country

"Make Mozart Not Nukes!" Lampizator GM 70 SE Amplifier - WORLD FIRST REVIEW
 
Lampizator GM70 Special Edition amplifier and SILK + Lukasz Fikus visit to the UK
 
World First: Lampizator 'BIG SIX' DAC - "The best sound we can possibly make"

First Encounter With A Lampizator Golden Gate 7

 

 

Links:
Lukasz - Lampizator
 
Greg - GPoint-Audio

 

 

Les McCann & Eddie Harris 
Compared To What?

 

PEAKY - BELLY OF THE SPHINX

GlobalFaction 


The NSA hate this song :) - Dan Bull
Dan Bull




http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for-men/tickets-for-international-conference-on-mens-issues-now-on-sale/



MGTOW/MHRM Public Service Announcement: 
Who'd have thought? One Is Too Many!

MrShadowfax42

11 comments:

  1. Very helpful insight into the sonic differences between the natural L4/5, the warm 6, and the transparent 7. Now that the duelunds have had some time to break in, I would love to find out what has been revealed in the last 7 months of listening since this last update. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    Regarding PCM playback my personal preference remains the Big 6 ‘Fikus’ DAC. In my opinion and in my system it is the most musical of all, with ultimate effortlessness and has ultimate bounce and snap. In my setup, the 6 is the one that I can listen to indefinitely without the slightest fatigue caused by the DAC. My beloved Big 6 (the actual point to point wired prototype) has trounced all PCM pretenders so far and you might be surprised to know uses humble Jensen caps. If someone offered me £20,000 I would not sell it.

    My daughter Sophia is very happy with a special Big 4 with Duelund that Lukasz was kind enough to make for us. The Duelund took some time to break in, but now it is a super sweet un-fatiguing unit with excellent clarity although not with quite the bottom end of my 6.

    I am afraid that DSD playback is something I am least qualified to report on and I believe that this is the particular strength of the 7. I am afraid I just haven’t got into it yet, but have always been impressed when I have heard it at my friend Robert’s house. With well broken in Duelund and 101 tubes, this is the ultimate clarity we have heard, unfortunately I can not tolerate the 7’s PCM playback. I hear some people have converted all their files to DSD to overcome this, but as I use my DAC 24/7 as the heart of my system to listen to radio and video broadcasts as well, this remains a drawback for me.

    I could not live with the Duelund/7’s PCM playback due to a certain intensity, even when broken in, but this is a more complicated matter as I have heard various iterations of that concept, the lesser of which seemed better to my ears and yet still not as ultimately musical and un-fatiguing as my 6. Now matters are complicated even further as I have a good report from Robert who has just received the new 'Golden Gate’, which is an ultimate 7 with outrageously expensive parts and a special copper case. Robert reports that this refines the replay somewhat and I hope to get a chance to hear that unit within the next week or two. I will report back when I do with a new review and I do believe that the Duelund in that unit have had enough time to break in.

    At this point I am inclined to believe that I will be commissioning another 6 from Lukasz in the future and asking him for a Golden Gate cost be damned type affair, and I am convinced that my 6 is simply unbeatable, but I will reserve final judgment until I review Robert’s new unit.


    I must add that my Spendor speakers are particularly transparent to the slightest change and play their part in my review and that your speakers and setup will play their part in which might be the best choice for you. I will be reviewing Robert's unit at his place with his Horns FP-15's, which have a different nature compared to my Spendors. Fingers crossed I will report back within the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for ultra-informative reply. I too have read that the discrete DSD output through the B7 is natural and outstanding, though I've not heard any iteration of the level 7 yet, myself.

    I find your experience with these three units fascinating, especially if my understanding of the differences between the DACs is correct. From what I've read, I think the L4 and L7 DACs share the same PCM chip, but differ in tube output stage design, while the L4 and Big 6 share a similar tube output design, but differ in PCM chips.

    If the above assumptions are correct, the difference in the voicing between the 4/7 and the 6 can largely be attributed to the R2R PCM chip in the 6 vs the hi-rez mystery chip in the 4 and 7. What is interesting is that if the 4 and 7 do indeed share the same PCM chip, then the overwhelming clarity and resulting aural fatigue that you find in the 7 but not in the 4 must be largely the result of the DHT tube output stage in the 7.

    If the 7's DSD playback is amazing and achievable without producing fatigue, one explanation for the difference in PCM fatigue between the 4 and the 7 could be that the 7's output design is so successfully transparent that it is revealing the inherent limitations of either PCM playback itself, 16/44.1 redbook CD resolution, or perhaps some combination of the two. Maybe the fatigue is a result of the PCM playback being so transparent in the 7's output design it is forcing the ear/brain to fill in some gaps of information along the way? Armchair speculation, at best, of course.

    It would be very interesting to hear the music produced by the 6's R2R chip through the DHT tube output of the 7. Perhaps that is what Lucas will do with your future Golden-Gated 6? If the R2R chip delivers PCM in that set-up without the fatigue of the 7 chip, it could be spectacular. And you could have the independent DSD analogue module installed, as well as a special Hi-rez R2R chip, if you so choose, covering all your bases!

    I'm very interested in reading any and all updates on your Lampi experiences. I have a second-hand L4G4 and am loving what I hear, but am very intrigued by your experience with the B6. After reading your blog, I have begun keeping an eye out for 6's on the second-hand market.

    Looking forward to reading your next post. Thanks again!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, again. I wrote a lengthy reply yesterday, but apparently failed to post it correctly. I'll try to briefly summarize:

    Thanks for the further insight into the Lampi models.

    Do I understand correctly that you are experiencing aural fatigue on the 7 with PCM but not DSD output?

    If the L4 and B7 share the same PCM chip, the fatigue you are experiencing on the PCM of the 7 but not on the 4 might be due to the ultra-transparency of the DHT tupe output, perhaps revealing inherent limitations in PCM conversion, 16/44.1 redbook resolution, or a some combination of the two?

    Since Lampi DSD is chip-less and completely independent of the PCM output, It would be interesting to compare DSD through the B6 and the B7.

    It would be perhaps even more revealing to have your Golden-Gated B6 combine the R2R chip with the DHT tubes. Perhaps the DAC conversion in the R2R chip is smoother than that of the hi-rez chip in the 7, and the transparency of the DHT tubes would be the best of all worlds in PCM conversion?

    Can't wait to hear further reports. A few months ago I purchased a L4G4 second-hand, and am loving what I'm hearing. The idea that other levels can produce even more listening enjoyment has me intrigued.

    Thanks again!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Michael, thank you.

      I had the original PCM 7 prototype and it sounded very good but indeed it did have a slight edge that I found too much for long listening sessions. Lukasz promised that the Super 7 would be better but unfortunately for all its good aspects I found it even more intense. Please do bear in mind that I am listening through my Spendor S100 speakers and they really do convey the smallest changes anywhere in the system.

      When I received my 7 I decided to pay my friend Robert a visit as he has a good DSD music library (that I lack) and a very good set of horn speakers. My impression was a very wide-open sound and I remember thinking that this was level 10 territory. This was a very faithful reproduction of the source material and I cannot imagine that being fatiguing unless the source intended it.

      I tend to agree with your comments regarding the different values of chips and DHT. I believe that your instincts are correct.

      I must admit to having suffered from one point of view disappointment with my 7 but from another point of view it simply confirmed to me how very good my Prototype point-to-point wired ‘Fikus’ DAC is. (Confirm with Lukasz, but I think that equates to a full Monty 5 today.)

      My instinct is that if there was an ounce of extra clarity or musicality that could be squeezed out of any combination, Lukasz would have done it, but I would not take that for granted if your are planning to make an order.

      I noticed that Lukasz has phased out the 6 into a new enhanced 5 and I am not sure why. The final question is what has been done to the very expensive GG7. Robert says that it has smoothed out some of that edge. I am reserving judgment as I said until I hear it for myself, but I think if he is correct and Robert and I do have a similar ear, it is going to be out of this world. That edge was my only reservation.

      I also became hooked by my introduction with an early generation level 4 and my daughter has a completely tricked out Big 4 that has a sweetness all of its own.

      Depending on your setup I am positive that you will certainly find the next level of smoothness and articulation if you go for a full Monty level 5 if you are already happy with your 4. As for the B7 I really believe that it must be system specific as by all accounts the 7 has been a phenomenal success for Lukasz and surely they can’t all be wrong.

      My opinion today is that the ultimate DAC complement is a combination of a full Monty Big 5 (tubes internal) in combination with a Pure DSD GG7 (tubes outside) Stacked on top. I have included a new picture in the post above that shows my combination of the Pure PCM 6 and Pure DSD 7 stack.

      At least Lukasz offers a period of grace in case it’s not your cup of tea. I sent my Super 7 back to be reduced to a pure DSD.

      I am eager to hear Robert’s Golden Gate when our schedules next permit and I will let you know what I discover.

      Delete
  5. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I posted another lengthy response this afternoon,and it's not showing again. Before I try to remember what I wrote, are you able to retrieve it somehow if it's just temporarily in limbo somewhere in your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the problems you are having posting Michael. For your information and anyone else interested here is my email: xangelo.xangelou@hotmail.co.uk

      I am not sure what is happening, but FYI I do not moderate until after the fact and then only to remove adverts. I'll check settings anyway. It's peculiar how some post and some don't. Perhaps it's a file size issue.

      Delete
  6. Ah, yes, file size may have been the culprit, as they both were longer replies. Either that or perhaps an issue on my end.

    I do have a few more thoughts I'd like to run by you. I'll try to get to it in the next few days and keep it more concise. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, This Saturday I will be driving up to the Midlands to here a couple of new prototypes including a 4W amp and the Lampi GG7 to compare with a some of my reference gear. Robert reports that after three weeks of 24/7 play the GG7 has smoothed out nicely and is now his dream DAC for PCM and DSD. The prototype amplifier is from a company no one has heard of, apparently the un-rectified 4W amp is said to trump everything we have heard until today (GM70/Audio Note/Tektron/+++) a very bold statement and apparently at a surprisingly reasonable price. I am on the edge of my seat!

      Delete
    2. Michael Said: I also noticed that B6 no longer offered but rolled into B5. When confirming that, I saw that my assumption that 4 and 7 share same DAC chip is incorrect--the 5 and 7 have the same chip, but the 4 has a different one altogether.

      This means that the R2R chip previously featured in the B6, and a favorite of Lucas' and yours, is no longer offered at any level.

      You're B6 for PCM and B7 for DSD plan sounds ideal. If you find you prefer hi-rez PCM down-sampled through the 6 over file conversion to DSD sent through the 7, one final tweak that might tempt you is offered on the old B6 Lampi page--an upgrade to a hi-rez variant of the the R2R chip for 1000 eur. It would be interesting to hear Lucas' take on the pros/cons of that option.

      I'd scoured the web and had not found anyone who had heard the 4, 6, and 7 lampis until I found your site. Some had "upgraded" from 4 or 6 to 7, but were comparing sounds from memory, whereas you've been able to hear all iterations almost contemporaneously.

      Even given the caveats of subjectivity and system variability, your comparisons of the three have helped immensely. My digital collection being almost entirely redbook CD, I am now inclined to try to purchase a second-hand B6 if and when available if and when I have the scratch. In the meantime, I am enjoying CD's through the L4 with Duelands.

      Looking forward to your further discoveries in LampiLand. Thanks!

      ______________________________________________________


      Angelo Said: Thank you Michael, you have clearly done your homework. The information you have provided is an excellent additional resource.
      I'll let you know my further thoughts once I have recovered from tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. ok, bullet points from yesterday's post:

    I also noticed that B6 no longer offered but rolled into B5. When confirming that, I saw that my assumption that 4 and 7 share same DAC chip is incorrect--the 5 and 7 have the same chip, but the 4 has a different one altogether.

    This means that the R2R chip previously featured in the B6, and a favorite of Lucas' and yours, is no longer offered at any level.

    You're B6 for PCM and B7 for DSD plan sounds ideal. If you find you prefer hi-rez PCM down-sampled through the 6 over file conversion to DSD sent through the 7, one final tweak that might tempt you is offered on the old B6 Lampi page--an upgrade to a hi-rez variant of the the R2R chip for 1000 eur. It would be interesting to hear Lucas' take on the pros/cons of that option.

    I'd scoured the web and had not found anyone who had heard the 4, 6, and 7 lampis until I found your site. Some had "upgraded" from 4 or 6 to 7, but were comparing sounds from memory, whereas you've been able to hear all iterations almost contemporaneously.

    Even given the caveats of subjectivity and system variability, your comparisons of the three have helped immensely. My digital collection being almost entirely redbook CD, I am now inclined to try to purchase a second-hand B6 if and when available if and when I have the scratch. In the meantime, I am enjoying CD's through the L4 with Duelands.

    Looking forward to your further discoveries in LampiLand. Thanks!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete