17 Jul 2014

Why I’m a Men’s Rights Activist Now

By I am coming out of the closet. Yep. Like many, it took me a long time to come to peace with it, years of soul-searching and introspection. But now I have come out to myself and to the world, and I feel like a weight has been taken off my chest. I am a men’s rights activist.
Growing up in the cradle of western feminism, the Upper West Side of New York City, and attending enlightened and well-funded public schools (where as kids we labored over the guilt-inducing importance of the failed Equal Rights Amendment), I was raised to be a feminist. A full-blown—male—feminist. While I never advocated a policy of feminism, I am indeed the product of it. A complete product of it. I had brilliant female teachers who advocated feminism. I shared co-ed classrooms with brilliant young girls whom I admired, whose intelligence I wished I could emulate. We wrote papers on the first female Supreme Court Jurist, Sandra Day O’Connor. While Dad turned me on to the Yankees, Mom took me to the ballet and exposed me to her interests: The Met, Lincoln Center, refined stuff, etc. Mom worked; she was an accomplished full-time educator raising two boys along with my father in our nuclear family. Our synagogues were egalitarian.
Never was I exposed to any messages that specifically reduced women or girls. That was just philistine! Any suggestion that women were on their own merits inferior to men would have been met with rejection and ridicule. Looking back on this indoctrination now, I see a lot of mixed messages.
See, radical feminism exploits the natural confidence of young boys. It seizes boys’ engrained disposition that girls are separate and it guilts them. Yes, girls are separate from boys, aren’t they?
Us boys are taught from a young age that girls are indeed separate. We are taught to be gentle with girls, not rough-house with them, to treat them as ladies, to defer to their feelings, to please them. Young boys are taught to exalt girls. Boys are the dirty ones who ride bikes and fight over a touchdown. Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice. Then, BAM! We enter adolescence and we are told that girls are oppressed, sidelined, overlook, victimized by some boogie-man patriarchy. What the hell just happened? First I was trained to separate and elevate them, to regard them as fully equals. Now they are ringing the bell of cosmic victimization. Did I miss something?
I finally became acquainted with radical feminist policy when my role as a father was legally shattered. Enter adultery by my wife, followed by an allegation of invisible domestic violence. Jon’s life, over. No proof of a crime. Whatever one thinks of my character, (fine, I am obviously scum), let’s assume the worst of me, for argument’s sake. The crucial point is that without a shred of proof, but with complaints spoken by an admitted and exposed adulterer, my life was ruined. Where are the witnesses? The hospital record? The photos? The police reports? None to be found. This low threshold of “proof” raises the obvious constitutional question about the role of the state. Should the state be so reactive that fathers are removed from children because of the words of a hysterical and adulterous woman who, as a person with the sudden liability of abandoning the marriage, has an interest in my removal? I cannot think of a more tragic sexist policy. And with this I was removed from my children, my home, my clothes, my heirlooms, my photos, my books. My whole life.
The state’s mobilization to remove me was the result of the Radical Feminist Legal Complex.
Look, I get it. If a dude hits his wife, charge him. Take him down. Felony. Existing statutes provide for this. But this dilemma is far more insidious. Apparently, New York operates along the thought-crime-like premise that domestic violence need not be “violent”—a concept at war with language and reason, as Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia recently wrote. New York entertains something called implied violence. It is absurdia infinitum. My adulterous wife conveniently claimed fear of me. This is violence to New York.
Since that day in September 2010, I have been to hell and back. Every participant in the systemic process has responded to my pleas with an apathy the likes of which I never thought could exist in a government to which I paid taxed, that once employed me, whose military I was prepared to join, whose public universities educated me. I am viewed differently now. As farm dung that fertilizes a massive—MASSIVE!—governmental process. There is an unmatched zeal “to get me”:  law enforcement, DAs, judges, court-appointed psychologists, attorneys ad litim—all shielded with immunity.
Today I have a new education to boast. I now know of VAWA, child support, orders of protection available like condoms at the health center, the Duluth model of domestic violence re-education theories, a complicit legal guild, Title IX, Title IV-D, university sexism, a consumer culture that mocks dads, prison, etc. There is an endless horizon of sexual-politics, radical-feminism policies that are reshaping every sense about manhood and fatherhood with which I was raised to see as proper and good. And took as holy. How stupid, right?
And I also learned something else: I am hated. Hated. Yes. I am hated. I get no presumption of favor—ever. The more I seek to remain a dad, the more I am told I am “angry” and thus unfit. The state is deaf to me and to what it does to me. I am also painfully alone.
I have tried to get my story out to every media outlet I can think of. I have found no support anywhere in my fight to be a father. Seems only fellow dads care about dads. Lawyers want money. Cops sneer or arrest. Legislatures are insanely politicized, as are judiciaries. Most dads’ groups are seen as “reactive” and “unfocused.” The silence of unavailable resources tortures me.
All of this is the result of a social/legal policy informed by vengeful radical feminist ideology, one that seeks to swing with a hammer than to extract with a tweezer.
Look, I am a lot of things: a loving father is paramount. The last thing I wanted is to be “that guy,” embittered and ranting about feminism. I just cannot figure out when I became such a bad guy.
So why am I now a men’s rights activist? My children. These policies keep me from them. I love them. They need me. And I need them. If this is a bad impulse, I am nothing.
Feature image by Ville Hyvönen

About Jonathan Bornstein

Jonathan Bornstein is a life-long resident of New York City. He spent many years as a High School educator; today he is in the private sector. His greatest role was as a Dad. Since 2010 he has been victimized by the state's oppressive and persecutorial policies that keep him alienated from his two children, Aaron and Lillianne.


Source


Angelo: I concur with Jonathan B, who's experiences in the USA virtually mirror mine/ours in the UK. I am a MHRA veteran 2002 - until equality for Men and Boys

More comments:
  • We are taught to be good men, that the system is just, women are good, and men that run afoul of either, deserve everything they get. we scapegoat any selected whipping boy too prove we are good men.
    Then with a word, our devotion too being a good man means nothing, we become the scapegoated whipping boy that everyone and everything in society uses too prove they are good.
    alone, betrayed, used, destroyed, and discarded, we hang on too any thread of our old life, and just survive.....but then
    We realise....we are not alone, and it is not us that is bad.
    Welcome too brotherhood freedom and justice....the beginning of me
  • Avatar
    "The more I seek to remain a dad, the more I am told I am “angry” and thus unfit." Jonathan Bornstein
    Anger is not only an acceptable response to injustice, it is a responsible one. This is one of the most incisively devastating rejoinders - provided by one of the contributors to "A Voice for Men' - to use against anyone who attempts to silence a man who dares to speak for himself about his experiences. This is especially true when those experiences are the result of the systemic misandry which is so deeply ingrained throughout institutions which many wrongly assume are designed to protect our civil, legal, social and parental rights.
    Mr Bornstein describes his evolution as a MHRA as a series of shocks to his belief systems, some of which were indoctrinated in him for ostensibly altruistic reasons. Perhaps the most resounding shock is when one realizes that most of those belief systems were indoctrinated for everyone's benefit but one's own. No-one has this bitter part of the red pill shoved down their throats more violently than fathers fighting for shared child custody with vengeful ex-wives.
    Mr SpotOn73 gives very sound advice by suggesting that these fathers keep a few good men near them - the right kind of women can be great allies too. The sad truth is that many men like Mr Bornstein discover that it isn't just media outlets and government agencies who react with apathy to the injustice he is forced to endure, but family and friends often react with apathy too. While they may not be out 'to get
    him', it isn't unusual for them to be as reluctant to hear about his problems any more than bureaucrats are.

    One of my closest friends has just gone through a custody dispute. He is one of the most decent, down-to-earth guys I've ever met. I remember him telling me with a look of dazed shock that his parents and siblings didn't want to talk about it, and another 'friend' told him not to be too hard on his ex - remember she's the mother of your children. This is the 'support' he gets from his nearest and dearest? I was angry, but not shocked because I've heard this a few times before. He told me that he had never felt so lonely in his life.
    Fortunately, his children were old enough to vehemently deny that he was a violently abusive drunk They were each interrogated for three hours and must have been extremely convincing because she lost custody - and the house. He is not sure if it was a result of her lies, or he was just extremely lucky in the judge who presided as no-one bothered to explain it to him. BTW, his ex told him of her adulterous affair and that she was divorcing him the day after he had paid the final installment of his retirement plan - that would dramatically increase the child-support payment. What a calculating, cold-blooded horror of a human being.
    Good luck to you Mr Bornstein. Your road to being a MHRA has been an ordeal, and there's a long ay to go. At least you will be travelling with some fine men and women who will never shame you for being angry, least of all about the injustice you continue to face.
    Avatar
    Welcome -- I dunno; is that the right word? -- Jonathan;
    I, too, chafe at the idea of identifying myself with a movement or an acronym -- especially a movement that is not popularly well-regarded -- but it is what it is; and so it must be, for, in the not-too-long run, it WILL be popularly well-regarded because we have right on our side, and we ARE making progress. I, too, am an MHRA, active sort of, insofar as I comment profusely. I may write. I need to find others in my area and do some active activism. I stood on the shores of lake St. Clair at the end of June, mostly just to be there. That was very, very good. Bust your ass, if necessary, to be at the next conference.
    I was divorced in '91, and I "got off light". Light physical abuse, heavy verbal abuse, the latter being nothing to me by that point in the marriage. But if I hadn't been living just a few miles from the house in which I grew up, I have no idea what I would have done; I would have had no relationship with my daughter; now that she's a tween, we're estranged anyhow, as a result of years of parental alienation that she can't even perceive.
    Yes, I'm that guy that lived in his mother's basement for a while. But it was a nice finished basement, as if designed for the very purpose, with a movable accordion wall for a bedroom area, on a sloping lot such that it had a ground level walkout into a backyard bordered by a densely wooded ravine, so, cheers. And my ex relied on my mother for much child-care assistance, so I saw a lot of my daughter. Cheers again.
    But the experience was radically life-altering, nonetheless.
    The child support burden was light, and for whatever reason, the ex suddenly became more civil about eight months after the divorce, but there was a period of almost two years that I had to live with the fact that if she was insane enough to engage in abusive behaviors, she was quite possibly insane enough to lodge a false allegation. I know stress, believe me. And still, I got off light.
    As I was working two jobs, and trying to make time to be Dad, I quickly realized that there would be no second marriage; I had no time for so much as a relationship on the side. And then fate dropped Ms. Right into my lap in the person of the mother of my daughter's best friend. The extent to which our interests and experiences were congruent and profoundly shared was unbelievable: classical music, classical poetry and fine literature in general, motorcycles, marital abuse, and our daughters. But she, too, was insane. Intimacy turned her to icky, inexplicable grief, the sort of reaction that nowadays is taken to represent some sort of lack of "enthusiastic consent" up front. And then she admitted to thirteen years of highly promiscuous runnin' around on her first husband. So I backed away.
    And lo and behold, then one day, there she was, offering me--- sex again? It was a textbook date-rape sort of scenario. And she knew how I felt about her, because I'd been very forthright on the approach, so this was about the most callous treatment I'd ever experienced in this department, or any other department, for that matter. That was the end of something...
    Thus, ever since, I have also been a confirmed MGTOW. (Damned acronyms!) It's a state of mind not without its dissatisfactions, but not without a peculiar satisfaction in the sense of personal integrity and inner sanctity to be derived from it, entirely without bitterness. And if that was twenty years ago, now, I found nothing on the internet then that suggested itself to me as a viable men's movement. It was just within the last ten months or so that I discovered AVfM, and as much as I hate to admit it, MGTOW nails my ass to the letter. Funny, that.
    There is a Hopi Indian word that served as the title of a movie in the early eighties: koyanisqaatsi, meaning "a situation so out of balance that it cannot continue". Hello?
    Thank you for being there, and being here: for communicating, and having the perspicacity to get on board.
    Btw, that picture accompanying your article is too perfect.
    Avatar
    Snap.
    I walked out my front door to provide for my family one morning 7 years ago and a month later it was gone. Wife. Son. Dog. In the intervening months I lost my home, business and health (the stress put paid to me ever becoming a father again without medical intervention). I was bankrupted. I was threatened with arrest. I went to court. During the court fight my son was moved without my consent 300 miles from where his maternal and paternal families lived to an area so his mother could play happy families with the man she had left me for (who she taught my son to call me `Daddy'). So I moved to...and lost contact with most of my friends and was also a long way from my family.
    Before this? I paid my bills, had not so much as a parking or speeding ticket and thought that while there were indeed some bad results in court, etc. that the justice system in this country was essentially a health animal.
    I lost friends for being an `extremist'. I was told to move on from my son/calm down/that I just had a bad experience/was a misogynist.
    Now I work in the Family Courts assisting others who are in the same boat. It's a tidal wave. Many dads fall at the first post when they realise the horror of what they are going to have to face in their bid to stay in their child's life (which will inevitably be long, painful, expensive and not guaranteed). Of the ones who do fight, the experience is too much for them and they leave shell shocked.
    The final group are the ones who refuse to give up no matter what. They are the ones who go to court and expect to be mauled by solicitors, barristers, judges, CAFCASS officers, Social Workers and the rest of the employees of the Family Law industry in the UK.
    If I could offer just one piece of advice it would be this: Never give up. No matter what. Be a millstone around the neck of those who are trying to stop you being part of your kids' lives.


  • Avatar
    You and I live in an Occupied Zone. Fatherhood must be destroyed, the central tenet of cultural marxism, whose adherents I have watched first-hand (and at very close range) take the system stage by stage, following a practical and executable blueprint designed at UC La Jolla. It was not designed by women to serve women. It was designed to liberate everybody from the oppressive influence of fatherhood: "Väter rauss!" Just because the war against Western civilization (so stated by Marcuse) was a psyops and information war, and was implemented by seeking power within existing bureaucracies, was executed incrementally, it does not mean it was not a war. --- Resistance is mandatory: vigorous, tireless, persistent, inspired, goal-driven resistance.
  • Avatar
    It's easier to come out of the closet when there's nothing left in there. Kind of like that scene in V for Vendetta when V interrogates and tortures Evee for weeks or months or whatever until she's reduced to her strong central core where she fears nothing.
    Of course most people are destroyed by that treatment, not refined by it. Because the process is there to destroy men, not strengthen them, and those who actually do come out of it stronger are the admirable exception, not the rule.
    I watched a loved one go through this with all the horrific similarities, and somehow he's come out of it functional and still determined to learn and grow and hope for things. I literally don't think I'd be strong enough to survive that. I want to see change so men don't have to face the option of coming out stronger from what should be a good and desirable thing in spite of the horrific abuse, or being utterly broken by it.
    Because that's a bullshit situation.

    • 'V' resonates strongly with me too. Let the pain wash over you, cry, set your mind free... and your ass will follow. "That which does not kill him makes him stronger."
      Having said that, after multiple operations over the years for my sins as a biker lunatic and kidney stones (my doctor said the pain is worse than giving birth), I have never felt such pain as when they took my children away from me and me away from my children. ...and not a day goes by without a pang. A powerful crucible.
      Destroyed? Among other things, as far as possible I avoid activities that result in the payment of tax and support the systems oppression of men and boys, some see this as dysfunctional behaviour, of course it is very logical and actually functional (with a little help from my friends).
      When we are robbed of everything, our 'self' remains. It's all in the mind. There is a choice between allowing ones own self destruction and allowing/accepting ones own change. No?

  • Avatar
    I'm here in England and really feel for you as everything you say rings true. The root of all of the issues is the allegation having to be taken seriously - no evidence needed, just a quiet word with those white knight cops - "yes ma'am"! Those fucking hypocrites - strong independent women, first thing they do is run to a group of men with weapons in uniform and lie. I'm sorry for you mate.
    The issue is that we let this creep up, slowly, insidiously, inevitably. We sat in our armchairs and wheezed out a "What the fuck...." when we saw this in the paper or the TV. As a group we were inert. We whispered to each other near the water cooler and shut up if a woman or boss approached. We never said 'enough is enough'. Dazzled by young female bodies we lived in the moment, hoping it would be the other guy who got sacked or dumped. Maybe we even threw him under a bus in the hope of being the good guy who'd get the kiss and the sex to send us off to sleep peacefully for once.
    I haven't seen the full Paul Elam / Matt Binder vid. I know at the end the kid points out we haven't gone on demos. No banners or marches.
    We're changing - a little. We're starting. Maybe we're regrowing our backbone, just a bit, remember when we'd argue for two hours as adolescents for something we absolutely believed in? Maybe the screen-based stuff has shifted, morphed into speech in the real world - the Detroit conference was a bloody good start. When a feminist appeaser friend was in front of me I called him a 'disengaging prick'. It felt good and he took it.
    Jonathan, you're in the right place. Find 2 or 3 good men near you. If you find a douchebag or nutter, let them go in the first ten minutes. You only need 2 or 3 and be selective. Talk to your local cops and politicians as a group. This is a good place to start. You've touched me across the miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment