28 Mar 2015

Woman-Power And Realms In The Ancient World - Men Were Expendable - Parts 1, 2 & 3

"Indoors women ruled. ...Most of the time." Lindybeige.
This video was not an easy one to do. The topic is just too huge. I ended up doing a few takes in which I rambled and rambled into all sort of territory for ages. I then decided to cut the topic down even further and start again, which is this take, and even this one goes on for TEN MINUTES (I'm terribly sorry) and, despite this length, I still never get around to saying the main thing that I had to say. That will come in another video, and there will perhaps be a third.
I also ended up speaking in such sweeping statements that I fear that it will arouse the ire of those less forgiving of man trying to get to grips with a big topic and not go into too much time-consuming detail. When a man talks about the topic of women, he may attract a large and possibly unfair amount of flak. I did not choose the topic. Then again, I see no reason why a man should not be allowed to talk about women, nor why, when trying to encompass a huge topic in short time, he should not be permitted to paint with a very broad brush, and leave aside a myriad ifs and buts. 






_____





Women's realms in the ancient world 
Here is the core point which I managed to leave out of the last video in my desire to keep things reasonably short. I talk of the twin realms of power: that directed outwards from the group, and that wielded within the group.

I think I might get back to axes soon..
 




______




Sex power - why women were different and men were expendable
This is the third video I have got out of the ludicrously long ramble I did in response to the request from Megan Humble, the winner of a competition I ran, to talk about the role of women in the past.

In this one, I talk more about the 'why' women's roles were different, and as I ramble, I touch on hormones, the expendability of men, arranged marriages, observations of kibbutz life, and the power that mistresses can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment