By You may have heard of the group : Dads of Great Students (D.O.G.S.), which sometimes goes by the name Watch DOGS. I covered it almost exactly a year ago. This is a program that brings in “fathers, grandfathers, step-fathers, uncles, and other father figures who volunteer to serve at least one day a year in a variety of school activities as assigned by the school principal or other administrator.” Here is a list of just a few of the things they do:
- Reading to children in the school library or in class
- Helping students with arts and crafts
- Helping students study via flash cards and other cooperative study activities
- Engaging with and providing guidance to students during lunch or other break periods
- Assisting in loading/unloading buses
- Being a monitor in the hall and at recess
- Just being a positive part of children’s lives.