18 May 2018

If Israel Were A State

A poem assembled by Gilad Atzmon
If Israel were a State
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would have deployed policemen at the Gaza border instead of snipers with live ammunition.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would invite the indigenous people of Palestine to return to their land.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would apologize for making Gaza into the biggest open-air prison known to man.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would, by now, live in peace under the sun.
But Israel is a Jewish Ghetto (and Jews are somehow different…)

Background:  Yesterday I was  in San Diego having fun at the beach. For a while I sat on the shore with my feet in the water reading The Diary of a Young Girl. Then a miracle happened.
A score of  little bottles reached land  and assembled in between my bare feet. I could see that each was sealed and contained a short note. I picked up the bottles carefully and moved them to safety. I collected the notes and tried to assemble the lines into a cohesive  message. I understand that this text, as put together by me, may be  offensive to some. If you can think of a different arrangement of the messages that offers an alternative meaning, please share it with me and I will consider publishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment